Saturday, January 7, 2012

The A-List by Zoey Dean


Title: The A-List
Author: Zoey Dean
Pages: 256
Rating: 1/5 stars


"Welcome to The A-List, a wickedly funny and risqu? paperback original novel that takes readers behind the scenes of the intoxicating world of Hollywood glitterati. Seventeen-year-old Upper East Side blueblood Anna ("pronounced Aaaanah") Percy is on her way to Beverly Hills, California, where she'll live with her estranged dad for the rest of the school year while her mother travels to Europe with a friend. On the plane, Anna drinks too much champagne and gets hit on by record producer Rick Resnick. Luckily Princeton student Ben Birnbaum is there to save her and he invites Anna to famous actor Jackson Sharpe's wedding, where Anna meets the cast of rich and famous characters who are soon to be her classmates at Beverly Hills High. The fast times of Beverly Hill's most beautiful and glamorous people drive the page-turning action of this juicy new novel"


Urgh. I actually picked this book up a really long time ago from Goodwill. Most of the times I never find anything I like but this once I decided what the heck? So let me start by saying this isn't the type of book that I usually read. I usually read books about characters who I feel I can relate to. It was really hard for me to get through, I started it around November and didn't finish until today. Well, here we go.

How can I sum this book up? It was superficial and arrogant and about a girl who is trying to look smart and real but makes you hate her more than any other character. That is pretty much the overview of my review.

The book switches through many points of view throughout the book and basically the gist of it is that there are 4 girls obsessed over a guy named Ben Birnbaum who is portrayed as a notorious player. In the beginning of the book Ben is actually painted as the good guy, the hot Princeton boy who your mother would love, yada yada yada. But no, wait. Mr.Ben here is actually a horn-dog. And the thing that really kills me is that Anna knows this! He said to her face that he was only with Cammie to get layed and she was just like oh okay. NO, NOT OKAY ANNA DEAR. Not to mention that she was making out with this dude in the bathroom on an airplane after knowing him for about an hour or so.

Then there are Cammie, Sam, and Dee, aka the head mofos in charge, who are bound and determined to both snatch Benny Boy and ruin Anna. They are the girls we hate. All the girls who ever made fun of us in school. Bacically, they are shallow, manipulative, slutty, princesses. How anyone would want to read a book about designer clothes, backstabbers, petty cat fights, and overall fake people I actually don't know. But if you get a thrill out of that stuff, this is the book for you.

This book is cliche and rude. I say skip it. You want an entertaining Upper East Side Drama? Go watch or read Gossip Girl.

Rating: 1 Star
Favorite Character: Monty Pinelli
Favorite Quote: "These people are like sexual pickup sticks: Throw them in the air and they land in a whole new configuration."


No comments:

Post a Comment