Saturday, January 7, 2012

Crossed by Ally Condie


Title: Crossed
Author: Ally Condie
Pages: 400
Rating: 3/5 stars



"In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever"




This is the second book in the Matched Trilogy and I was oh so exited for its release. I actually got this book on Black Friday for a really sweet deal. But anyways, back to the review.  I am terribly terribly sorry to say that this book was a huge disappointment. I mean Matched wasn't the best book in the world but I expected much more.  

This book switched between the two main characters and love buddies Ky and Cassia, unlike Matched which just showed Cassia's POV.  I think this and the fact that the author writes well were the only two things that got me through this book. It had so much potential but was just blah. It wasn't interesting and it was oh so confusing. There was no real climax point. No real adventure or thrills. The character's were only skin deep and it was very predictable. 

The part that was the most unbearable to me was the romance. It was sooooooo bad. It was all consuming. The main characters claimed to be in love and would die for one another but they didn't show it. They didn't have special moments of affection or moments where you could read it and just be like "Oh, yep, they're in love" or "I wish I had this". All the Main Character's seemed to do was lie and hide stuff from each other. It was annoying. It was as if it was all talk and no show. 

This book was also extremely confusing. Like bang your head against the wall confusing. The whole story line with the farmers and the Rebellion was very badly explained. I am a pretty intelligent person and I had no idea what the hell was going on most of the time. And for part that really really got me. "the words." OH MY GOD. *Slams head on wall repeatedly.* Ok, so let me explain. "The words" are what Cassia and Ky call letters and writing and I swear to god the saying is on every other freaking page. And here is the part that makes the least amount of sense. Cassia complains about not being able to read the words all through the book.  AND THEN ON PAGE 290 SHE FREAKING READS! (Sorry for my little out burst there) Can she read or can't she? That is the question. But honestly, I don't really care anymore. Thank God it's a trilogy and not a saga. 

A positive to this book is that I actually liked the main character Ky. I have no idea why he is with Cassia though. While I found Cassia to be annoying and unnecessary I found Ky's point of view to be rather interesting. Though I must worn you, he gets kinda dark and depressive like at any moment he will whip out a guitar and start singing about his tortured soul. While in the first book Ky was quite myserious, it is not so much the case in Crossed. He seemed rather open. I miss the old Ky honestly. But other than that I don't have much to say about him and you most likely don't want to hear more of my Cassia rants. haha.

I would say, skip the series as a whole or try to only read the first one. I found it to be a waste of my time. 

Rating: 3 stars (weird, I know)
Favorite Character: Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment